JOHN "JOHNNY" MANOR ~ Class of 1947
June 6, 1927 - January 24, 2011

John Manor passed away on January 24, 2011, in Mesa, AZ.

He was preceded in death by his parents, John and May Manor, and Adele, his loving wife of 56 years.

He is survived by his sons Steve and Jeff, daughters Sandra and Mary Jeanne Taylor, son-in-law Bruce Taylor, grandson Garrett, and sister LouAnn Manor Crass ('50).

Before retiring from the Air Force in 1969, John often joked that his next tour would have to be with the Army. After retiring from the military, John continued working in communications for ITT at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

The family wishes to thank Hospice for the loving care provided during his long illness. Graveside services are pending.

Published in Tri-City Herald on February 11, 2011

Guest Book

>>from Dick McCOY ('45):
John was a true hero of World War II and Korea. He fibbed about his age and joined the Navy when he was 16. He was trained as a corpsman (medic) and was assigned to the Marines. He went through several of the Island landings. After the war he came home, and finished his High School at RHS, his parents having moved to Richland in his absence.

He, along with about a dozen of us veterans, flocked together like ducks, ruptured ducks, that is. We assembled each Thursday at the unemployment agency on Lee Boulevard, and collected our 20 bucks from Uncle, and pretty much managed to spend it by the folllowing Monday. We went to the Pasco Legion on Saturday nights, and sometimes to Hermiston on Sunday to buy beer. But the many evenings we could be found at the Richland Legion in the old High School. The Wagon Wheel Club was in the basement there, and we would have a few in the very room where I took Spanish in 1943. They were halcyon, if wastrel times. and all of us became very close.

Then a few got married, and others went on to University. Johnny told us he was bored and rejoined the Navy ... Then the Korean War broke out. Back into the Marines went John, and he did the war up and down from Inchon (Korea) to the border and back.

Two Wars, many battles and John never got a scratch. Then, finally, the cigarettes killed him. (Quit good friends,now.)
-Dick McCOY ('45)